Recreational kayak training
Overview of course:
The purpose for this training is to provide education and guidance, specific for the recreational kayaker. Intended for those new to kayaking, and who have recently purchased a recreational kayak. Topics addressed will consist of basic paddling skills, safety, and understanding your vessel’s abilities and limitations. Participants should provide their own rec yak, paddle, and PFD. If requested, a PFD and paddle will be provided to you. This 3-hour long class will be split between land and water instruction. Location will be announced prior to event, will either be located on a quiet lake, or beginner friendly river (depending on water conditions).
- Understanding what is a recreational kayak. (Design features, construction, abilities and limitations).
- Choosing a paddle for your kayak.
- Selecting the proper life-vest.
- How to plan your paddle adventure. Paddling with others.
- Methods to transport your kayak – on the road and manually.
- Proper body position and how to hold a paddle.
On water training:
- How water effects your kayak, getting a feel for the paddle environment.
- Ways to enter and exit your kayak from land/water.
- How do I steer this thing, and not run into others?
- How tippy is your yak?
- What happens when I fall out, and how do I get back in?
- My kayak is full of water, what now?
- Is there a hazard around the river bend?
Helpful reference topics:
- Ways to keep things dry and safe.
- What clothing is a better option to wear.
- What is a shuttle – do I need one?
Cost for this Class – $60/per person